Hello everyone! I don’t know about you but I love making lists, and one of those lists is about movies I want to watch. My friends and teachers recommended lots of movies during my previous school years and I made a huge list of great and “classic” movies to watch but I never think about that list when I pick one. Well, in 2019, I hope that changes a little bit and here is one of the outstanding movies I chose to watch.
However, âmes sensibles il faut vous abstenir! I don’t want anyone dying from a heart-attack because of me. When it comes to tension and suspense Kubrick does not do things by half.
Why I appreciate it?
- Well structured – mentions the days of the week. It makes time relevant and the viewer gets to understand how much it is important to depict Jack’s psychological decay. It is important because, at some point, I realized we were in Jack’s mind. Therefore, little layers of times were interwoven.
The Shining is all about the mind and its powers. Little Danny’s flashes or psyche powers. When he sees the twins dead or when he writes in the wrong way “murder” on the door. Horror is suggested and not entirely shown. It is all in the mind. We have psychological labyrinths, one might guess that it is why Jack becomes insane. Thanks to the mise-en-scène we understand that he separates himself from his family and consequently, he sank into the fantastic world of the hotel.
- By the way, just like Psycho, horror is on the mind and hee in Jack Nicholson’s mask-like face. And let’s not forget the jarring soundtrack.
- Women are put forward. Wendy, Jack’s wife, is portrayed as a very resourceful woman. She is the one who is proactive and exploring the hotel.
- It is the kind of movie where you have a lot of things happening and you do not know why, so you want to keep watching to understand “why?”. And the end was even more puzzling, Just like Mother!. The mystery at the end is not solved.
- It is about history and writing process:
History – Being able to see what happened and the effects it had on the present and future. That is why Danny had this kind of flashes. And Jack did not care about the history of the hotel and so history repeated itself.
Writing – Writing is a commitment. Jack wanted to write but his fear of the blank page prevented him from doing it and his fears were transcended into reality. And by doing so, in my opinion, he got the right to be part of the Hotel’s history and the book he wanted to write. Who knows? the end is so ambiguous!